Dec 16, 2008

new beginings


I have cycled the Andes...Not all, but some. I was following my younger brother Brent from Quito, Ecuador to Huaraz, Peru, via the Andes. He is a cyclist, and I, not so much.


For my brother, cycling seems to stir the ¨Sopa de Vida¨ within him; positivity, creativeness, and cycling-on equal heartbeats. For me, after 2500km of peddling, my thinking began to mimic my riding- repetitious & slow. My brother and I know first hand the bitterness brought on by negative thoughts, and I did not want to promote such pessimism.


This is not an easy task, peddling three-hundred pounds of flesh and steel up five-thousand meter passes, but Brent succeeds with joy & anticipation for the next, while waiting for me far behind. He is a leader, a leader of the sort I want to become. To become such a leader, required me to cease following. It was time for a change. My inherent need for which prompted a break in companionship, and a swapping of transportation.


Excellent were the days of braided tire tracks, but now I seek to venture off on my own with eager anticipation of what´s to come. This was no means an end, merely another beginning.



No comments:

Post a Comment