Feb 27, 2009

Bienvenido a Chile

Chilean economy made itself apparent as soon as I crossed over that invisible line we like to call "la frontera" or "the border". Smooth pavement, lane lines not only visible but shouting "PASS\DON´T PASS", and emergency SOS phones every 5K or so lined the road dropping into the Atacama desert and San Pedro. I sit back and relax.
To my delight, a freindly smile and a not entirely true explanation of why I didnt have papers from Bolivia, were all it took to get me through the Chilean customs with the only problem being my twelve inch Dundee knife on my side (my security system in the previous countries), easily stowed for passage...

Relief.
Bienvenido a Chile...
San Pedro de Atacama is an oasis in the middle of the Atacama desert-apparently the second driest place on earth behind Antarctica. A tourist trap, but beautiful nonetheless, offering tours to some of the deserts unique & amazingly beautiful attractions. Everything seemed a little closer to home. The people, cars, shops & soccer fields, and even the dogs seem more "well to do" here. Sitting on the first street I cruised looking for a room for the night was a familiar face. Cesar, from Columbia and whom I´d met in Huaraz, was relaxing in the shade of tree out of the desert sun, working on some of his jewelry for the next days´artesan fair. Random aquaintences don´t seem very random at times, more driven towards something bigger. He introduced me to his Chilean friend whom he´d been staying with for the last three weeks, Fernando, and the two of them decided to give me a proper introduction into the Chilean lifestyle of a street artist. The name sounds a little cheezy, but these guys are the real deal. Handmade everythings like leather purses, jewelry of all materials, stone carvings, and even tables and chairs lined the street in front of them the day of the fair- the only day of the week its legal to sell on the street. The rest of the days they spent working, preparing delicious BBQs, and drinking whilst waiting for the night, and the illegal displaying of goods on street to tourists while keeping an eye out for the policia (my job). Cervesas and vino led to conversations of truth and spirituality on a few occasions over the four nights spent in S.P. and the rest of the time joking around and just chillin out was a great way to come to know Chile.
Two very good amigos, time very well spent, and a town very well remembered...






No comments:

Post a Comment