Apr 14, 2009

Finding Brentasaurus


After Santiago (seems like forever ago), the moto and I took to the road in search of the ever-so-rare, bicycle bearing Brentasaurus. The route inbetween the two counties (Chile and Argentina) lie thirty some switchbacks, a lengthy tunel, and South America´s tallest mountain (Aconcauga- 6959 meters) - in that order. Somewhere cruising through the tunnel burrowed into the high Andes I crossed into Argentina, and when I popped out again the beast of a mountain peered down on me as if were perched on my shoulder. Intimidating. The smiles of Argentinos at aduanas (customs) were abundant and warming after the chilling view of the snow capped giant.
A different feeling here than in the northern Andes of Peru, Bolivia, and Ecuador; casually winding through the highlands on asphalt highways, rather than twisted two-track neverknowifyourgoing tofindyourwayout dirt roads. Also, never far from the comfort of fresh water, hot food, or nice lodging. It´s never been this easy to access the high country--not better, just different.
Down into Argentina..I have recieved plenty of information about this country from several sources along this trip such as; "the people are pretty", "the food is fabulous", "the parillas are plentiful", "the camping is in credible", "the trees are tremendous", "the phishing is phenomenal"," the wine is wonderful", and "Patagonia is perfect!"...I have been in this country for more than a month now, and I can attest-- all are truths... All are awesome!
Thanks to our little friends "spot", the search was not a search of the entire country (thankfully, even a Brentasaurus would be hard to find in such a large country!) His "spot" has corresponded with my e-mail narrowing his location down to the San Juan region of northern Argentina...Off I go, through large pampas and scattered oasises, enjoying my fair share of Argentinian beef (the best!) and wine ( a bottle of premium for under ten dollars!) -planning my route and tuning my camping saavy along the way. I was preparing for an encounter of the pre-historic kind(as it would´nt be our first encounter, as pre-history can prove.)
Throttle time provided me with ample thinking space for my continuing journey through South America, and I started to ponder what exactly I could do to make the most of Patagonia and the three remaining months I have here. The idea of fly fishing popped into my head as banked around a gravel turn overlooking a beautiful little stream. Yeah, thats it! Its gotta be...fly fishing in Patagonia? Can´t go wrong! Thanks to my personal Financial Bailout Plan (my folks) I have ample money to purchase the needed gear to take up a new sport. (thanks again guys!) I now have a waxing giddyness for the Lake district that awaits down south..But first, my giddyness to find the Brentasaurus has elevated, as it does when I sense we are close.
Buzzing into the town of Jachal around mid-day, I passed a municipal campground. A familiar scent found its way through the faceguard of my helmet, and I suddenly felt the urge to whip around and check out the area. (Campgrounds are known resting grounds of Brentasauruses.) As I rounded the corner, peering through rows of trees, picnic tables, and parilla´s (barbecue grills) something caught my eye...There, half naked, holding something resembling a pair of pants, stood the giant. I slowly turned, popped the clutch, swerved around a few tree trunks, and came to a skidded stop in front of the bathroom sink grinning at the familiar face in front of me----Brentasaurus!
Re-united once again, the Sorensaurus Rex and Brentasaurus will travel the great landscapes of Northern Argentina drinking the fruits of the vine and feasting on the flesh of the bovine. Upon different steeds we ride, but with the same grin of kin we provide!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment